Gottman Emotion Coaching
What is Emotion Coaching?
Drawing from world-renowned research on relationships at Seattle’s The Gottman Institute, this program provides current science-based knowledge that will teach you the essential parenting skills for helping toddlers through teens navigate their complex emotional world. Easy to learn and implement, emotion coaching supports kids in ways that build genuine self-confidence and helps them grow socially, emotionally, and intellectually.
The Gottman Emotion Coaching program will help parents see their child’s emotional reaction as an opportunity to engage with them, honor the emotion, and coach them through the accurate and appropriate expression of the emotion – especially the negative ones.
This program will equip you to:
- Set limits and problem solve with your child
- Express understanding and empathy in a way that is authentic to you
- Accurately recognize and respond to your child’s behavior/feelings
- Respond to your child’s emotions in an adaptable way
- Reduce chaos and conflict in your home
- Navigate the emotional landscape of toddlers, tweens, and teens
- Nurture your own emotions so that you can be the parent you want to be
The magic moments for accomplishing what you want for your children happen through positive interactions with them when they are emotional. It’s during these times that you have the opportunity to influence how your child feels about himself and the world around him.
Emotion-coached kids become emotionally intelligent people. They are better able to:
- Control impulses and delay gratification
- Soothe themselves when upset
- Calm their heart rate faster, which leads to less infectious illnesses
- Focus attention
- Motivate themselves
- Relate to other people
- Perform better academically
- Cope with life’s ups and downs
Gottman Emotion Coaching is offered both as a workshop and individually for parents. To find out when the next workshop is scheduled, reach out to Brittni. To learn more about individual support for parenting, consider parenting strategy sessions.