WHAT I WANT YOU TO KNOW:
- You’re doing great. If you’re homeschooling your kids for 8.25 hours straight every day–great! If your kids have had more screen time this week than in the last month combined–great! Do what works for you.
- Ditch comparison – we’re all doing the best we can. Lean in to what is best for your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
- Embrace self-compassion … this is a pandemic. It is not an added opportunity for increased productivity and perfection.
- If all you get done today is breathe, that’s okay too. Here’s my favorite breathing guide.
IDEAS TO FOSTER CONNECTION
- Grab a journal or notebook and use it to write notes back and forth between you and your child or husband…. just like you may have done in middle school with your BFF (or was that just me who did that?!)
- Be intentional about how you spend time with your children and spouse – as you try to balance working from home with keeping everyone busy and sane, focus on QUALITY time over QUANTITY of time. If you only have 10 minutes between Zoom Conferences or phone meetings, think of a quick way to really connect with those in your home.
- Start a gratitude journal with your family … I’ve been doing one for 6 years nightly with my kids and it has provided so much fun, gratitude, and joy every night as we record our gratitude and re-read older entries.
- Take advantage of technology with FaceTime and group chats to connect with friends and family
iDEAS TO FOCUS ON SELF-CARE & GROWTH
- There are tons of free ivy league classes you can
take online … I’ve got my eye on:
- Anxiety & Depression Association list of resources
- TalkSpace is doing 1,000 months of free therapy for those in healthcare industry!
- Increase your self-compassion. Take a self-compassion quiz and get resources on how to increase self-compassion at self-compassion.org
- Stress Relief in Times of Crisis
- ACT Coach has many guided mindfulness exercises, was made by psychologists at the VA, and includes other therapeutic resources
- Weekly Virtual Mom’s Support group with Erin Hickman, LMFT Wednesdays at 9am
- The UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness has a great collection of guided audio & video meditations
- Headspace is offering a free 14 day trial
- Calm offers therapists’ a code to give to their clients to try their app free for 30 days. Find it here.
- East Bay Meditation Center has moved all of their meditation groups and classes online, and are all free and/or by donation only.
- Live sound healing events Mon/Thurs @12pm, Saturdays @5pm EDT by Sara Auster
TED TALKS THAT PROMOTE WELLBEING
- The difference between self-compassion and self-esteem
- Brené Brown: The Power of Vulnerability
- Brené Brown: Listening to Shame
- What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness
- The Surprising Science of Happiness
- How to Make Stress your Friend
- The Gift & Power of Emotional Courage
- 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation
PICK UP A BOOK
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Rising Strong by Brené Brown
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown
- Attached by Amir Levine
- The Depression Cure by Stephen Ilardi
- The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama & Desmond Tutu
HAVE A LISTEN
- Men, Women, & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough by Brené Brown
- The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connection, and Courage by Brené Brown
- The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection by Brené Brown
IDEAS TO STAY ACTIVE
- The YMCA has free online classes
- Orangetheory is sharing a free 30 minute workout video daily
- Free Les Mills classes: ten different platforms including core work, cardio kickboxing type, strength training, cycling, yoga
- Peloton is offering its app to new users for free. The app has yoga, meditation, strength, stretching, bodyweight cardio and strength training exercises
- Free yoga classes
- Free guided meditations
- United We Om is an amazing organization that offers trauma informed yoga in ny communities. There are free videos on their website.
- Corepower Yoga on Demand for Free
- NPR Coronavirus cartoon
- A website for working parents that offers guidance, resources, and workshops
- A template for your action plan as you work from home
- Actor Josh Gad Is Reading Books to Kids Online Every Night During Coronavirus Quarantines
- Free Access to Spanish Classes for kids
- Virtual Field Trips
- Houseparty app, where you sign on and can video chat with however many of your friends happen to be on there at the same time. Kind of like a virtual chill party:
ONLINE ACADEMIC CLASSES/ACTIVITIES
- Free Audio books for kids/teens
- Daily academic activities for kids K-12
- A collection of online tools for academics for kids of all ages
- Devoted to teaching kids about science and technology, this website that offers daily activities that can be done at home
- An app to help kids practice reading
- A website with a wide variety of courses in math, science, and computer science
- Skillshare: An offering of courses in subjects like design, writing, illustration, photography, etc. Currently they are running a special where you can get a 2 month premium membership for free.
- The Cincinnati Zoo is doing a daily Facebook Live event (at 3PM EST) where they feature an animal.
- The author and illustrator, Mo Willems, is having daily online doodle sessions through the Kennedy Center
- Live camera footage of animals
- Tour the Guggenheim Museum
- Tour the National Gallery of Art
- Family friendly activities to do at home
- Seattle Symphony Live Stream
- 10 Virtual Museum Tours
- Free virtual cooking classes on Instagram
- Broadway plays and musicals you can watch virtually
- Virtual Concerts
- Online Music Festival